The Hero Profile
We’re on the search for a Concept Artist, ready to inspire through your creative work for an innovative new game. The Concept Artist at Game Hive will be working with the Creative Director and design leads to produce original and imaginative art. You won’t be simply developing visual assets - your work will be capturing the brand and bringing life to the theme and vision of the product. The ideal candidate is eager for a challenge, looking for a truly fast-paced environment and unafraid of receiving or voicing feedback. Does this sound like you?
Founded in 2009, Game Hive is a leading developer of mobile games for iOS and Android, with more than 120 million total downloads to date. We are passionate about making fun and rewarding games for everyone to enjoy. Our most popular games include the Tap Titans and Beat the Boss series, as well as our latest release, Battle Bouncers.
What you'll be doing
The Concept Artist will be a leader in unifying the vision for our game. You will:
- Define the visual mood, direction and theme of the game through art concepts and illustration
- Create style-guides and creative briefs that outline visual targets for the team to follow
- Concept designs for gameplay; user interfaces / game experience; characters; social features; reward structures; and further in-game assets as required
- Illustrate all in-game and front-facing content for our game, in which ingenuity is key - this includes and is not limited to character design, stage backgrounds, shop bundle arts, weapons, etc. Creativity is welcome and needed!
- Support all visual aspects of game development from ideation, global launch and onwards, as well as helping the direction of all marketing materials
- Take ownership for projects and self-produce/direct when necessary
- Take feedback from the team and turn it into applicable and tangible results
- Be an advocate to our loyal players by listening to community feedback and continuously pushing the standards and limitations of visual quality at Game Hive
- Keep up-to-date with current technologies in the digital illustration industry
What we're looking for
Essential skills and qualifications include:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma (or equivalent experience) in graphic design, illustration or related disciplines
- 4+ years of industry experience in visual development experience in the gaming industry (mobile preferred)
- Experience in leading creative projects, working with cross-functional teams
- Mastery of one (or more) illustration software (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign).
- Strong traditional art skills with confidence in the understanding of composition, colour theory, lighting, mood, perspective, rendering and anatomy
- Excellent illustration skills, capable of producing within a wide range of art styles, with a portfolio to showcase it all
- Proven experience of providing initial ideas, from the stage of rough sketches, all the way through the ideation and development process
- Experience in illustrating characters, props and environmental pieces in different settings
- Experience and familiarity in working with Unity
- Ability to work within a style guide for a major IP to suit the needs of a mobile game experience
- Passionate about video games!
- Always thinking of ways to change the norm - to put a spin on things and look towards
- Detail-oriented and driven for pixel perfection
- Able to work creatively and thrive in fast-paced environments
- Exceptional ability to communicate ideas through verbal, written and visual means - unafraid and excited to voice opinions and ideas
Plusses - good to have, but not required!
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence
- Understanding of the free-to-play mobile space
- A passion for gaming!
What it means to be a part of the Hive
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life.
- Receive a competitive salary and growth structure
- Receive a comprehensive health and dental spend, ready for you on Day 1
- A continuous education grant, ready for you on Day 1. Learning and development are key here.
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but the fun certainly doesn’t stop — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in a central office location with spectacular food and all the (healthy, and not-so healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume. And a dedicated game room, of course!
Join the Hive
Get with us! Send us the following to apply:
- Your resume in PDF format
- A link to your portfolio demonstrating a variety of art styles
Game Hive puts heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.