The Hero Profile
We are looking for a Software Developer (Backend) to join the Hive! If you thrive in fast-working, team-based environments and are passionate about creating games that anyone can play... then this is for you!
The Software Developer will be working on one of our two leading titles, acting as a key member of the development team. You are the type of person who can handle a fair amount of work freedom while understanding how to manage yourself. Knowing that, "with great power comes great responsibility," you move fast, and you thrive off of new solutions to unique problems. You know when to build something on your own or when to leverage existing solutions, and have confidence in your skills to make key decisions.
Python, SQL, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Memcached, Redis, Celery, Kubernetes, Docker, Cloud Services — AWS and GCP.
Game Hive is building a new generation of casual mobile games. A people-and-fun-oriented studio, we are dedicated to creating games that tap into the interests of anyone and everyone! At Game Hive, we look towards innovation, invention and all-around epic-ness, not only in our games, but also in the people behind them. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside strong talent, working on some of the most popular titles in the mobile space.
What You'll Be Doing (Responsibilities)
- You’ll be developing and designing the backend component of our mobile game features.
- You’ll be working with other departments of our team to deliver a fun and engaging game.
- You’ll be keeping features you worked on well documented and well tested.
- You’ll be ensuring the performance, scalability, reliability, and security of our servers.
- You’ll be collecting metrics from game usage to server health.
- You’ll be developing internal tools and our internal portal used by our team.
- You’ll be working with a series of production deployments.
- You’ll be talking about games. A lot. And playing some too, if you like.
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Excellent Python programming skills (almost borderlining parseltongue), or similar language — 2+ years of professional working experience; 4+ years including academia.
- Experience and familiarity with SQL. You are able to design database schemas for large features and conjure queries to make the database give what you want— 2+ years of professional working experience.
- Familiarity with a Python web framework, such as: Flask, Django.
- Familiarity with a Python ORM, such as: SQLAlchemy, Django ORM.
- Familiarity with a linux-type environment.
- Knowing when to use the database and when to use the cache with caching systems, such as: redis, memcached.
- Comfortable in managing the performance and reliability of servers.
Bonus Skills (Nice-to-haves)
- Familiarity with task queues (i.e. Celery)
- Experience with containerization (i.e. Docker)
- Familiarity with JS web frameworks and front-end web development
- Familiarity with cloud services (i.e., Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform)
- We make games. Popular games that have generated over 120 million downloads. You’ll be working closely with the game teams to provide the infrastructure for important game features, in part or in full.
- We are our own system admins. We monitor and manage the performance and reliability of our servers.
- We are secure. The idea of storing passwords in plaintext makes us (and you!) cringe, while the idea of catching cheaters makes us giddy.
- We do a full stack. From internal web portals, to backend game components, to cloud infrastructure. We do it all.
- We like a fun workplace. We have challenging projects where our talented people can work on ideas that they're passionate about.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but you better believe the fun doesn’t stop — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in a central office location with all the (healthy, and not-so-healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume.
- Oh, and we play games. Often.
Still interested? Good!
Join the Hive
- Send us your resume and cover letter in a pdf format, introducing yourself and why you're the talent that we need!
- Links to your GitHub and personal projects are a huge plus
Game Hive puts heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.