The Hero Profile
You're the type of person who can handle a fair amount of work freedom while understanding how to manage yourself. Knowing that, "with great power comes great responsibility," you move fast, and you thrive off of new solutions to unique problems. You know when to build something on your own or when to leverage existing solutions, and have confidence in your skills to make key decisions.
Game Hive is building a new generation of casual mobile games. A people-and-fun-oriented studio, we are dedicated to creating games that tap into the interests of anyone and everyone! At Game Hive, we look towards innovation, invention and all-around epic-ness, not only in our games, but also in the people behind them. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside strong talent, working on some of the most popular titles in the mobile space.
What you'll be doing (responsibilities)
As a part of the Business Intelligence team, the Data Engineer will act as the intermediary with the product teams. You will be an owner of our pipeline, and an expert of tracking and managing essential data that will support key business decisions.
- You’ll be an owner of ETL pipeline development and maintenance.
- You’ll be an owner of database schema design of any feature you build.
- You’ll review game code to catch any bugs related to the data warehouse.
- You'll be using/developing in a Linux environment.
- You're able to manage multiple Linux machines and clusters.
- You'll feel comfortable managing the performance and reliability of our data services.
- You’ll be talking about games. A lot. And playing some too, if you like.
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent education and/or experience
- Familiar with technologies and languages used: Python, Flask, SqlAlchemy, Memcached, Redis, Celery, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Familiar with Big Data ETL/machine learning pipeline development
- Experience with workflow automation tools (e.g. Airflow)
- You have advanced SQL skills
- Familiar with microservices and data modelling concepts
- Experience in the mobile gaming industry
- Familiar with Unity development environment
- Familiar with C-family programming languages (C, C++, C#)
- You have worked with Spark in the past and understand when to use it
What it means to be a part of the Hive
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life.
- Receive a competitive salary and growth structure.
- Receive a comprehensive benefits package.
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but you better believe the fun doesn’t stop — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- Working in the heart of downtown Toronto with an exceptional view, all the snacks and drinks you can consume, and a game room to boot!
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter in pdf format. In your cover letter, please outline why you're the star we need.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.