The Hero Profile (Role)
We are looking for a Senior Game Designer with strong quantitative capability to work on and shape something new! The ideal candidate understands the value of metrics-driven design, approaching game design with retention and engagement in mind. You are familiar with all the top mobile titles, specifically in the casual, f2p space. You have joined projects in all stages of development, from prototyping, through production, to live-ops.
The Sr. Game Designer will be responsible for creating new game content and features while also iterating on current gameplay mechanics. Strategic and creative, you understand that the marriage of data and creativity is elite, and are the ingredients to produce innovative game design.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Making things happen! You will be transforming ideas from the Product Owner into detailed and clear designs, communicated through:
- documentation, wireframes, spreadsheets and flows.
- Developing features for core gameplay, owning the balance and progression of the game.
- Designing to create epic game experiences and progression, using rewards and monetization as driving factors.
- Providing actionable recommendations and working directly with programmers and artists to ensure game design mechanics and user experiences are correctly implemented.
- Outlining and developing stage mechanics, gameplay scenarios and prototypes.
- Analyzing user testing and analytics to recommend design solutions to the product.
- Using a metrics-driven approach to game design, using our data to improve the product and game experience.
- Being an advocate for players by designing features that exceed their expectations
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- 5+ years of experience in mobile, free-to-play game design in a professional capacity, which includes:
- experience and confidence in game-tuning and optimization for f2p games.
- Developed and designed major game systems and content for at least one shipped mobile title
- Wizardry in excel and spreadsheets.
- Expertise in documentation for features and specs.
- Strong understanding and proven advocacy for the player experience and journey.
- A wealth of knowledge in game monetization concepts and economic modeling.
- Experience and confidence in diving deep into data and extracting actionable insights for game design.
- Experience in translating game concepts into on screen gameplay.
- Ability and excitement towards rapidly generating new fun game mechanics and levels
- Aptitude for learning new technology, level editors and scripting languages.
- are passionate mobile games, of course!
- understand the importance of transparency and reproducibility as best practices
- are familiar with the latest trends in multiplayer mobile games
- are communicative - whether written to verbal, you are confident in your excellent ability to communicate. Strong written and verbal English is essential.
Bonus Points (Nice-to-have, but not required):
- Experience in game engines such as Unity and Photon
- A postgraduate degree in engineering, mathematics or related field
- Knowledge and proficiency with scripting languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, Lua…)
- Coding knowledge and/or some amount of technical experience with programing
- Build games and work on projects that you’ll be proud of!
- Competitive salary and growth structure
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits package, from Day 1.
- A continuous education grant, ready for you on Day 1. Learning and development are key here.
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources.
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment.
- We’ve adapted and we’re remote, but the fun keeps on going — we’re committed to maintaining and dare-we-say, even elevating our GH fun times culture with: regular paid team lunches, at-home contests and challenges, themed happy hours, dozens of fun slack channels… that’s just to name a few. And we’ll adapt to office-life when the time comes, which involves:
- working in the heart of downtown Toronto with an exceptional view, all the snacks and drinks you can consume, and a game room to boot!
Join the Hive
Are you one of us?
Then submit your resume and cover letter, outlining your experience in game design and what you’ve been playing recently… We want to hear from you!
Outside of this remote period (due to COVID-19), this role is a full-time permanent position in our Toronto head office, located at 22 Adelaide Street West.
Game Hive is an equal opportunity employer. We put heavy value in diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please make it clear within your cover letter. We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you!