We are looking for a highly analytical game enthusiast, who will dive deep into the data to make vital contributions to game design. The Game Mathematician applies their knowledge of probability, statistics and economics to develop key strategies that will valuably affect game updates and core features.
What you’ll be doing
Working closely with the product and data teams, you will create compelling player experiences for games enjoyed by players around the world. With a strong understanding of gameplay, you will create fresh game content, while also iterating on current gameplay mechanics.
- Collaborate with producers, designers and senior leadership to set priorities and economic direction
- Design, implement, balance and fine-tune game systems, economies and progression
- Coordinate with departments to ensure the timely completion of design goals
- Listen to player feedback to then iterate and balance features to create the best game experience
- Create detailed design documents that clearly communicate design functionality and vision
- Perform mathematical analysis and testing of existing and new features
- Work with developers to ensure that math models are correctly implemented
- Verify the functionality of features and how they fit within the game mechanics
- Build free-to-play mobile games for millions of players around the world to enjoy!
Max Level Skills (Requirements)
- A degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or other related discipline
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency in Python, Matlab, Lua, C++....
- Mastery of spreadsheets and Excel
- Deep knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts
- Strong oral and communication skills
- Knowledgeable about analytical game design and the free-to-play business model
- A portfolio of personal game projects or game mods
- Able to draw qualitative conclusions out of quantitative data
- Analytical and approach problems by breaking problems down to key variables
- Transparent and believe in the importance of reproducibility and integrity as best practices
- Passionate about games! As a gamer, you understand how to build needs and emotion in the context of a game (& the importance of it)
- A team player who can confidently and effectively interacts with management and collaborates with other departments
Bonus Points (good to have, but not required):
- Experience as a game economy designer or game balancer
- Experience with Unity
Founded in 2009, Game Hive is a leading developer of mobile games for iOS and Android, with more than 200 million total downloads to date. We are passionate about making fun and rewarding games for everyone to enjoy. Our most popular games include the Tap Titans, Beat the Boss and Antrim Escape series (and many more!).
- Valued ideas & input: you will be frequently asked to take charge in your projects and you will see your ideas come to life
- Receive a competitive salary and bonus
- Receive a comprehensive benefits package
- Gain experience using top-quality marketing and design resources
- Work in a fun, collaborative, feedback-focused, no-BS environment
- Regular paid team lunches, events, and other fun socials!
- Work in a central office location with all the (healthy, and not-so healthy) snacks & drinks you can consume to keep you fuelled